Total Pageviews

Tuesday 9 September 2014

What art do we value more?

In art class yesterday, our art teacher gave us an assignment comparing traditional art to contemporary art.  In this post I'm just gonna expand a bit on the assignment and answer a few questions.

Do you think we value traditional art more or less than contemporary art?
I think that as people, we generally value traditional art more than contemporary art, for a few reasons, I think some of these reasons are:
1: Its always been around, we've basically been looking at it since we were kids, its familiar to us
2: The judgement of most of traditional art has already been made, we pretty much just choose a side on the matter, we don't have to judge it ourselves.
3: we are not a fan of change.
However with this said, I like art, all art, it doesn't matter if its contemporary or not, certain pieces just stick out to me.

Which type of art makes more sense to you?
Although I kind of answered this up there, I will just expand a bit, generally I tend to like looking at contemporary art more, but i usually find tradition more beautiful and meaningful, but if I were decorating my house for say, I would choose contemporary.

Do you think traditional art is more valuable because it has been here longer and is more established?
Defiantly!  Its like a comparing Betty Crocker pancakes to Safeway pancakes, both taste the same, but in the end, more people go with the Betty Crocker ones.

What about the artists who produce art and share it via social media, extending a virtual invitation and redefining art appreciation for the world's population?
This might help a bit, defiantly helps get the artists name out there, but I think that in the end, everyone likes a good old fashion art show more than seeing anything over the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment